Friday 2 December 2011

Sketching taxis

This is another sketch I did just for me. We’d regularly go out and do location drawing around Grahamstown in first year, and I was sitting sketching the taxis. A man carrying a bottle of beer came and sat down beside me. He said he could take me to the township – that I needn’t be scared as a lot of wit vroumense (white women) like me went there. I laughed it off and kept drawing, and he finally lurched off to ask one of my classmates. The township was only on the other side of town, but it could have been another country to me and I only went there once – to an exhibition during the National Arts Festival.



I did that one from memory and these are the charcoal sketches I was doing that day.


4 comments:

  1. I love the one in ink =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) I enjoyed drawing it - and had fun sketching the taxis coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg thats so creepy... so what was in township?? And you're really good at sketching..its almost weird, mashallah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol at 18 I wondered that myself... But I'm guessing a party somewhere, a shebeen..? The township was small and poor, and still segregated back then. Now the townships are bigger but still poor and still largely black. Thanks - but not so weird..? =)

    ReplyDelete