Tuesday 6 March 2012

Scrambling up and up

A week ago I climbed up Table Mountain with friends. We took the India Venster route as it’s not as well known – or as crowded – as the route up through Platteklip Gorge. The path runs up under the cableway most of the way up, then passes around the mountain above Camps Bay and finally ends at the top of Platteklip Gorge.

The ravine through which the route runs apparently looks like the shape of India when viewed from below – though I couldn’t see any resemblance myself..! And the venster (‘window’ in Afrikaans) is formed by some of the rocks in the ravine and frames a great view of the surrounding mountains.

It was an exciting climb but far more strenuous than I was expecting. I suppose I’ve always viewed Table Mountain pretty much as a postcard – or a dramatic backdrop. Until now...

I soon discovered that setting off on no more than a cup of coffee was not a good start..! Although we began climbing by 8.30, it was very hot by then already and quite still on the lower slopes. I think my blood sugar level must have been too low because I’d only been climbing about twenty minutes when I felt so dizzy that I crumpled into a little heap on the steps leading up from the lower cableway station. Those last steps I could only do munching on my apple – and that, incredibly, got me most of the way up..! (Well, an apple, plenty of water and a whole lot of stubborn determination not to miss out on any of it...).

We made it up in about three hours, stopping just below the upper cableway station to eat our sandwiches and watch the cable cars whizzing by overhead.

Taking the cable car back down felt far too easy but, as a very inexperienced rock climber, I wouldn’t climb down India Venster (this can be dangerous if you don’t know the route) – I have far too much respect for the mountain to attempt that – just yet.


Slogging up those steps...


Beginning to climb


Scrambling up


Hanging on


Cape Town and Table Bay in the distance


At India Venster


Through the venster


A glimpse of Devil's Peak


A cable car whizzing by overhead


Going around the mountain


Naomi and I very nearly, almost, there...

(Thanks, Brahm, for the great climbing photos!)

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Wow! I'd recommend the walks from Cecelia forest, getting onto the contour paths; or tackling nursery/skeleton gorge from the Kirstenbosch, they are easier (I think) and also very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done girls!! I am most impressed & glad we didn't attempt it Mem! Think I'll have to wait till I've had a hip replacement :( !!

    ReplyDelete