Saturday 14 April 2012

A Japanese iris

I painted this, and a few more irises, while out with friends at a small winery in Niigata, Japan – yes, the Japanese make wine too. (And enjoy drinking it, as my friend Ikue would agree.)

We’d spent more time over lunch and lingering at the gift shop than sketching or painting, but it was a good day out. And the resident cat just loved all the attention, coming over to see what we were all painting and sitting in my lap as I sat on the grass with my sketchbook.

Thought I’d read up a bit on irises and discovered that, despite the name originating in Greek mythology (Iris is associated with the rainbow and messenger of the gods) and all the hybridizing and selection, horticulturalists have not been able to breed a pure red (bearded) iris. Most irises are therefore shades of purple and blue or yellow or white.

That little bit of yellow seems to suggest that it’s one of the bearded irises so perhaps not a Japanese iris after all, but an iris in Japan nevertheless.




Ikue painting the garden


Nuria and friend

2 comments:

  1. Omg! such a pretty painting!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know, I so seldom paint or sketch flowers or trees or landscapes, that kind of thing, though I often photograph them. But it was such a nice day out and I really enjoyed it. =)

      Delete